Friday, November 14, 2008

Round & round....

Let me just go on record by saying that I am not a fan of heights. Or of confined spaces. These thoughts were fluttering through my head as I headed up the 200+ stairs of the Currituck Lighthouse today.
We decided to head out this morning & try to get outside a bit before the rain returned. The Currituck Lighthouse is my favorite of the lighthouses around here. It's simple and unadorned. Very understated. Plus you can climb to the top. Last year Kevin and Kieran climbed up while Keenan and I waited below. This year Kieran and Kevin thought I should go with Kieran. So I swallowed my fears & started climbing the stairs with my son.
It wasn't so bad until we got to the second landing (about the 40th stair but who's counting?). Then the panic & dizziness started. Thankfully my little guy was pleasantly chattering away in front of me & couldn't tell that his mommy was starting to freak out a bit. While he paused at the landing to take in the view I stayed by the rail & took a few deep breaths to calm down. Thankfully the panic subsided and we kept climbing to the top. Then, as Kieran rushes to the rail (it was wet & slippery) to wave to Kevin & Keenan, the panic returns. He's happily taking in the foggy view & waving down below while I'm standing with my back plastered to the lighthouse. It's all quite safe, but that doesn't help--I want down.
Getting down was the worst part. The stairs are iron & you can see through them--round and round to the bottom. Thankfully Kieran got behind me & we slowly trudged down lost in the monotony of him counting all of the stairs. I think in a couple of years when Keenan wants to climb to the top I'll let Kevin take them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Rachael and Kevin, at the marathon!

Rachael, I totally understand about the "round and round" feeling!

Miss you all. Thanks for your postings which brighten up this dreary Saturday afternoon.

Hugs to all, see you soon, MOM