Thursday, December 12, 2013

Loosing at Chicken

This morning I had nothing on the calendar that I had to do.  (Really can't remember the last time this happened.)  So I decided to head out on a long-ish run and just relax.  Figured I could get the run done and still have time to do a little Christmas shopping before picking up Keenan.

So I bundled up & headed down our road into the sunshine.  We are blessed to have our road connect with a few other neighborhoods so we avoid a lot of traffic and the main road.

I headed to the cut through road, rounded the corner, started up the 40% hill, and stopped.

There at the top, spread across the road facing me with the sun shining behind them were five pairs of eyes staring at me.

We all stared at one another for a few uneasy seconds.

Four of them were easily the same height as me, but it was the littlest one that made me (and the other deer) the most nervous.  I did not want to come between a young deer & it's mama...

So we faced off.  And I began to re-think my route.

And after a few more nervous seconds, one by one, they slowly moved off into the woods.

Then after waiting some more, I hustled up the hill breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Yup, we all know who would have won that fight.  I would much rather my pride be ever so slightly bruised than the rest of my body.

Even if that last deer smirked at me as it walked away.

No comments: