Saturday, August 25, 2012

Kirkwood 5k

Today was the big day.
Kieran's 2nd 5k.
He hasn't done as much training as he had for last year's race.  A few good two milers mostly with me around the neighborhood.  Our last run was Wednesday before a storm blew in and it was a disaster.  I couldn't say anything right....ugh.
So today our plan was for Kieran to run at his pace & stick next to Kevin (he was wearing 'ole orange).  Of course when the race started, Kevin had already run 13 miles and was beginning to tighten up.  My legs were feeling a bit wooden from a seven miler the day before, and I felt naked since my Garmin wasn't working (corruption in my data files---humf!).  At least Kevin had his Garmin working.  Kieran was ready to go, talking a big game & looking relaxed.
And the race began.
After the first half mile the field began to thin out. I was running just behind Kevin & Kieran.  I heard Kevin ask Kieran a couple of times if the pace was ok or if he wanted to slow down.  "You're going kinda fast." was Kevin's phrase.  I had no idea what we were running since I had no dang Garmin.  I just knew it was a good clip.
The two of them pulled a bit ahead of me, but I just kept going steady, confident that I would catch them after the turn around if not before.  
Then we got to the turn around & they were still just ahead of me.
No big deal, since I knew there was a hill before the 3rd mile.  Figured Kieran would be getting tired by then.  Plus my legs were pretty heavy....
Then as I was approaching the hill, I saw them dash up it and around it.....
Dang.
I knew it would happen soon, but I didn't think it would be this year.  Right now.
But it did.
I got beat by my son.
He (and Kevin) ran a 28:10!!!!  That's just over a 9:00 mile pace!
Think he was 2nd in the under 10 boys division, and the 3rd kid under 10 to finish the race.
And I didn't do too bad either.  Still bagged a PR.  Even with no Garmin and lead legs.


He's pretty proud.
And so are we.

No comments: