Monday, February 7, 2011

Battle--Peas

Ever watch "Iron Chef" ???
Tonight I kept hearing the announcer's voice say "and the battle peas rages ON!"

Our family food rules are pretty simple. 1--you have to try one bite of something for the first time. 2--for foods that are not "liked", you must eat your age (as are many rules in our house, these are non-applicable to grown-ups). For example, if you're 2 two peas. Age 5 gets you five. Really pretty simple. The boys usually handle it no problem and actually like to eat most vegetables.
Not tonight though.
Tonight I had mac & cheese and I mixed in peas. Usually this goes over fine. The cheese sauce pretty much masks the peas.
Tonight Kieran had two servings of said dish. When he asked for a third I told him he would have to eat his peas first. He seemed fine at first, then he decided to add some water to the rest of his milk and add peas to that.
He said he would still eat his peas.
Then he mashed them up. In the cup.
After 1 sip of his yummy concoction, he began fishing the peas out.
Then he informed me that he didn't want anything else, he was done.
But he still hadn't eaten his six allotted peas (and who would want to after being soaked & mashed in milky water?).
And so the standoff began.

And lasted for thirty minutes. Until bedtime.
Which worked out fine for Kieran since he was "too tired to play anyway."

No comments: