Do you have a singer/songwriter/band/group that always has music that speaks to you?
For me, it's Bebo Norman. His music and his lyrics are just real. His joy, struggles, and heartache are all there. Looking back over the last ten years his music has been in my life in the best and worst of times.
A friend of ours introduced us to his music shortly after we got engaged. A Page Is Turned was in our wedding. It is a song that could have been written just for us (instead of his sister...).
During the first few years of our marriage we saw him play whenever he was in the area (no kids--we had a lot more free time!). I remember one show that my dear friend Rachel was also at. She was also a big fan of his music. Then the day after she was killed, we saw him play again. The heartache in some of his music matched my own that night and I remember sitting in the audience crying....
When I was pregnant with Kieran, we saw him again. I felt Kieran kick for the second time during that show.
Four years ago Bebo had a new CD released. We were in the midst of a tough time. Within two weeks I had a miscarriage and a second surgery for a skin cancer. I felt brittle and shell shocked. Then I listened to one of the songs off Bebo's CD. And sat and cried. (It's not on the playlist below, so I've listed the lyrics. It's worth listening to. Sorry I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure how to load things onto the playlist website.)
Into the Day
You could turn a hundred years and never empty all your fears
They're pouring out like broken words and broken bones
They could fill a thousand pages, be the cry for all the ages
And the song for every soul who stands alone
The ache of life is more than you are able
Hold on love, don't give up
Don't close your eyes
The light is breaking through the night
Step out into the day, all the clouds and all the rain are gone
It's over now
Step out into the sun, for you have only begun to know
What it's all about
As the hungering dark gives way to the dawn, my love
It's over now
So this past Friday we finally got a chance to see him again (I was preggo with Kieran the last time we saw him, remember?). It was worth the wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment