Sunday, October 28, 2012

Race Report

Yesterday was Kevin's big race!  The Ridge to Bridge Marathon in the mountains.
Kieran had Friday off from school so we headed out at lunch time and got to the mountains to check out Linville Falls.
 (I know, I don't look too excited here.  Ran 10 miles that morning, gnarly blister on my foot, pulled hip muscle, not a fan of heights, take yer pick)
But it was beautiful and gave the boys a chance to burn off some steam before we drove the course & picked up Kevin's race packet.
 This year we got smart and stayed near the start of the race.  Didn't have to get up at 4:30!!  We cruised up to the start to drop off Kevin and watch the race begin.
Yes, it begins across the street from the Marathon gas station.
Nice, huh?
 And they are about to start!
Can you spot Kevin?
 Then the boys & I headed back to the hotel for breakfast, shower, & packing up the car.  We grabbed some snacks & drinks for the finish.
And then we got comfy to wait & watch.
 And then wait some more.
I knew the clock & what Kevin's window of time should be.
He had a fifteen minute window that he wanted to finish in.
That time came and went.
And then kept going.
When it was fifteen minutes after his expected time, I knew something had gone wrong.
I was worried, and the boys were getting antsy.
Then Kieran started to worry.
 And then we finally saw this.
And all breathed a huge sigh of relief and cheered him on.
 Kevin had been on track to finish at the faster window of time until he hit mile 21.
Then he had horrible knee pain and briefly thought he had injured his acl.
Thankfully after he walked for a few miles, he was able to run the last mile to the finish.
 But he's already said he's not running this marathon again.
Another one yes, just not this one.
 Little bit of road debris.
And a quick dunk into the river.
And now for some more ibuprofen.
We are so proud of you Kevin!!
Thanks for showing the boys how to finish strong what you start!

No comments: